Monday 19 November 2007

"Baby on Board"

Spain is well known for being child friendly. It is always a culture shock for me when I do head back home in that children are not always welcome at restaurants in the evening and even if they can be accomodated friends frown on the fact that we plan to bring them. Spain couldn't be more opposite and I love that. But I am at a loss to understand how a nation that pours over young babies and toddlers offers so little in the way of real facilities. Changing tables, feeding rooms, highchairs in restaurants, mother and baby parking spaces, etc. They are few and far between. Having said that even if there were mother and baby parking spaces they would probably be taken by any tom, dick or harry much the same as disabled spaces are respected!! Here on the Coast there are an increasing amount of restaurants offering facilities like highchairs and some even fitting changing fold-down tables but they are still sadly in the minority and nine times out of ten I found myself laying Charlie on the floor in a small cubicle to change him. Don't forget to pack that changing mat!

No comments: