Thursday 13 August 2009

Price Comparison - Spain vs. United Kingdom

Spain is well regarded as a "family friendly" country. Certainly for those coming over here on holiday they will find that the local community are very welcoming to young families, children are accomodated in restaurants and bars, quite the opposite to the United Kingdom for example. Spain in general appears to be very family orientated and this has always left me somewhat surprised at the lack of "amenities" for children, young babies in particular and also the elevated price for any products, particularly what I would call necessities such as nappies, baby wipes, formula milk, clothing, etc.
Nappies for example are practically double the price to what I could expect to find in the United Kingdom, as is formula milk. I actually live close to Gibraltar so I used to make the treck over there to stock up on milk instead of buying it in Spain as the difference in price was so big. Why is this? Surely these items cost the same to produce here as they do elsewhere in Europe, yet only 45 minutes down the road from my home and I can stock up the same items for half the price or less.

Do you find it the same? Any ideas why this is? Share your thoughts and comments.

No comments: