Friday 14 August 2009

Giving birth in Spain

I always say the same thing when people ask me about giving birth in Spain - "different doesn't necessarily mean worse". Undoubtedly giving birth in Spain is for the most part a different experience to giving birth in the United Kingdom. For a start gas and air isn't used in Spain, but then nor is it in the vast majority of other European countries. Infact I think recall that it is considered old fashioned by many! It can also be said that Spain has had historically a more clinical approach to pregnancy and delivery than most, with the pregnant woman practically being treated as if she were "ill" as opposed to expecting a child. But as with everything, times change. What one woman may have experienced last year may not be relevant to a mum's pending experience this year. Admittedly the progression being made varies greatly depending on the part of the country you look at. There are certainly still many hospitals which are still heavily rooted in the ways of old, but equally there are many that are really making a conscious effort to provide more to the expectant mother. Up until the 1970s all births took place in the home and with a midwife present. It seems strange to me that things went so dramatically the other way when midwives were pretty much taken out of the equation completely, and pregnancy and delivery became entirely led by an obstetrician. I know that when I was pregnant in 2006, despite going to a private hospital, I wasn't given an opportunity to meet any midwife. When I asked for an appointment to see her I was told that wasn't possible and I would not meet any midwife until I was in labour! When I asked for a tour of the delivery suite they looked at me like I was mad, but they did organise it for me. Looking back I shouldn't have asked for it cos it truly scared me! It all looked so clinical and uninviting.....but of course the next time you go there it doesn't look half as bad as contractions are keeping you occupied enough that you don't even notice the clinical "feel" of the place!
Full text.

No comments: